Summertime is often the time when HR departments are actively searching for new candidates to fill temporary and permanent assignments. Additionally, as current employees are more frequently dreaming about taking vacations at the beach, supervisors are trying to maintain staffing numbers by boosting employee morale. Knowing what workers want from their employer this summer can help to retain greater numbers of employees, and help make the workplace more productive.
So, what are many employees looking for this summer? A recent employee poll revealed that 78 percent of working parents value flexible work arrangements to care for their families, while another 62 percent of all workers agreed having a flexible schedule is a major perk. In fact, many employees reported they would take a pay cut in order to have more flexibility in their work schedules.
Having the ability to work from home at least part of the week, or being able to leave early on Fridays is another factor that employees want to have more work-life balance. There are certain job tasks that are more friendly to telecommuting, and this is something that all employers should look at closely. In some cases, it can even save your company money by reducing office use.
It’s clear that in order to keep employee happier during the summer months, employers need to be thinking outside the box in terms of offering incentives. Here are some suggestions:
- Give all employees the option to work remotely during the summer, if their job duties allow.
- Provide a work environment that is casual and flexible so employees look forward to coming in.
- Have fun corporate events like catered lunches and after-work parties to let employees relax.
- Develop an incentive plan for employees who achieve their goals in the summer months.
- Offer employee development classes and training on-site to encourage skill and team building.
- Encourage employees to schedule their summer vacation times in advance.
- Design flexible work plans to allow remote employees to set their own schedules.
Your workplace can be a fun environment in which to encourage productivity and attract more talent to your team. Use the above tips to make your company a place where your employees will want to spend their summer.
Get help with your summertime staffing needs in the Southland Chicago area by working with the Davis Staffing team today!